Tehran’s Marble Palace
Tehran, a residence for Qajar and Pahlavi kings, is home to marvelous palaces which remarkably incorporates modern and traditional aspects of architecture.
Kākh-e Marmar, located where Imam Khomeini St. and Valiasr St. meet, was built at the order of Reza Shah Pahlavi and famous proficient architects worked together to create a gorgeous structure. It is said that he designed the building himself and once the architects were fired, the modernist Iranian architect ,Լևոն Թադեոսյան, of Armenian descent, finished the job in 1938. The lands belonged to the Qajar dynasty which were confiscated by Reza Shah when he came into power.
The edifice, with an area of 2870 square meters, was initially the office of Reza Shah, and after his exile it was handed over to his son, Mohammadreza Shah. He met with foreign delegations in the royal palace. After an attempted assassination of Mohammadreza, his office was transferred to Sahebgharaniyaeh Palace. In 1977, the marble palace tuned into a museum, where some historic items were on public display, among which were the Shah’s officer uniform and his bulleted hat. After the Islamic revolution, in 1979, it became headquarter for the revolutionists committee. From mid-1992, the expediency council sessions have been held in the palace.
The gorgeous dome of the palace, exposing dazzling Arabesque tiling, was inspired by the impressive Sheikh Lotfollah Mosque, in Isfahan, and skillfully carried out by Master Hossein Lorzadeh. Also great architects like Mohammad Kazim Sanie and Hossein Taherzadeh cooperated to create a masterpiece in Persian arts. The extraordinary eclectic architectures of the palace is of note: glamorous wooden inlays are seen in Khatam Hall, where everything from stationary to desks are admirably inlaid.
The architectural treasure’s historical objects are on display in Tehran’s decorative arts museum.